-
Our little princess is 1! We can't believe it. Since we're still on a unique diet, Mommy had to come up with a cake that was "birthdayish" with no wheat or dairy.
-
This is what we ended up making...
-
I used a gluten free chocolate cake mix from Pamela's (info at www.pamelasproducts.com. I don't know where it was purchased, because someone gave it to me as a gift. The cake mix made two layers. Although the layers were flatter and more dense than a normal cake, it was just as tasty. -
For the frosting, I just mixed powdered sugar, water and almond flavoring until it looked good. It is not a "fluffy" frosting, but it worked great for this particular cake.
-
For the purple flowers I used the same frosting, with a little lavender food coloring added. I don't generally prefer to use food coloring, but the cake was so "blah" without ANY color. We don't have any cake decorating tips at the moment, so I just snipped the corner off a small plastic ziplock bag and... ta-da!
-
Last, but not least, I used KIX! Emily is crazy about KIX cereal. Those made cute flower centers and also dressed up the bottom edge of the cake a little.
-
Simple... but fun and delicious.
-

1 comment:
Love the KIX idea! Very cute! :)
Have you tried the Betty Crocker cake mixes yet? They now have gluten free cake mix, brownie mix, and cookie mixes right next to their other regular mixes in stores.
I picked up a cookie mix to try sometime when I need something fast. Hoping they freeze well. 'Course now I won't need them since I found your recipe on this blog. :) But I may pass the word on to Grandma - she was wanting some ideas. :)
I am interested in trying the cake mix so wondered if you had tried them yet and how it compared to the Pamela's.
Post a Comment